A sports massage is a type of massage that aims to maximize a person’s body’s performance during a sporting event or any other regular physical activity. The tension in the muscles is alleviated, the soft tissues are moved, and the discomfort in the body parts overworked during a sporting event or other physical activity is decreased with sports massage. Sports massage is now a growing treatment for a sports injury and shoulder pain(frozen shoulder) in Singapore and several other countries. It has been demonstrated that patients who receive sports massage get a number of benefits. Read further to find out more about sports massage, its benefits, and how it may be used to treat sports injuries and its benefits.
Contrary to what its name would imply, sports massage is not just for athletes. Sports massages are categorized as clinical massages because they are intended to treat patients’ health issues. Sports massage can benefit both athletes and non-athletes who require relief following a very taxing physical activity as well as those who require assistance with sports injuries, lingering aches and pains in the muscles, and restricted motions.
Sports massage in Singapore employs a number of different techniques to be able to help efficiently with the treatment of sports injuries, pain alleviation, and other treatment goals of the patient. The following are the common techniques involved in sports massage:
Effleurage is a crucial technique with various applications and involves spreading oil and warming the skin tissues. This technique has a calming and relaxing influence on a person’s physical and mental components.
Kneading encompasses several different types of tissue manipulation, including lifting, compressing, and even moving tissues that may promote blood flow and aid in the body’s detoxification process.
With the hands moving up and down, the tissue is lifted from the bone and pushed to the side using this technique. Moreover, the tissues are alternately squeezed and released and as a result, blood circulation will be restored, toxins will be removed, and muscle tension will be relieved.
Using the edge of the hands in a light, springy, and quick motion, the tissue is struck to apply this technique. This technique aims to soften hard tissues and activate muscle reflexes and improve circulation.
- Trigger pointing
Trigger points, which are tiny pain-producing areas in the muscles, are the focus of this technique. By aiming at the triggers (i.e. trigger pointing), the tight muscle knots will be released and the pain associated with it will be eased.
Sports massage is a helpful treatment in many different scenarios, including when getting ready for a sporting event. You can use sports massage as part of your preparation for an approaching sporting event to boost your performance and optimize your physique. You can utilize sports massage to help your muscles and tissues recuperate from the rigorous exercise you undertook after the sporting event. Before you start training again, sports massage can help minimize discomfort, fatigue, and loosen up tense muscles. Most likely, sports massage will make injuries less likely to happen. Sports massage aids in the circulation of blood, oxygen, and nutrients, which is particularly beneficial in the rehabilitation of injured body parts. Sports massage has been shown to speed up healing and lessen edema and swelling. Sports massage can aid in removing any stiffness and pain from your body that may have developed from simply going about your everyday routines and general maintenance.
Sports massage has a wide range of benefits for both sporting events and non-sporting events. The advantages would be:
- Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) is reduced: A person will have elevated pain and stress following exercise or training, which is uncomfortable and makes it challenging to unwind. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness or DOMS is the term given to this type of muscle pain. In addition to microtears brought on by overuse of the muscles, tension-related pain can also result from inadequate blood, oxygen, and nutrient circulation brought on by muscle contractions. By addressing tight muscles and enhancing circulation, which can encourage the repair of damaged tissues, a sports massage will be very helpful in reducing DOMS.
- Pain is reduced. Pain from injuries, surgery, or inflammation can result in elevated levels of stress and restricted movement. Sports massage will be quite effective for bringing about relaxation and alleviating any soreness.
- Injury Prevention. Overuse of muscles, as well as weaker or constricted muscles, can result in injury. Injuries prevent people from participating in sports or even going about their regular lives. Sports massage is important in terms of injury prevention because it is aimed to assist in maintaining healthy muscles and tissues, reducing soreness, and hence improving performance in sports events or daily physical activities.
- Muscle Flexibility Increased. Overuse, inflammation, and muscle stiffness can all diminish muscle flexibility. Reduced muscular flexibility leads to restricted mobility, which causes increased pain. A sports massage can help increase flexibility and range of motion by combining techniques such as kneading, deep strokes, and so on.
- Performance is being improved. When a person’s performance is optimal, he or she is less likely to become weary or weaker during a physical activity like in a sporting event. Achieving peak performance also entails avoiding sports injuries. Sports massage uses a variety of techniques to keep muscles healthy, strong, and less prone to injury.
- The recovery period is reduced. Muscle damage can occur as a result of an injury, surgery, or overuse. The body will naturally mend the injury, but healing is sluggish due to inadequate blood, oxygen, and nutrient circulation, fatigue and muscular tension, and inflammation. A sports massage will help you recover faster by boosting circulation, relieving pain, releasing tight muscles, and lowering tension.
- Sleep better. Relaxed muscles will result in better sleep since you will be more comfortable and your stress levels will be lower, stimulating the body to sleep.
- Sports massage can be beneficial for both pre-and post-event. Anytime from two days to right before an event, massages can be given as preparation. The muscles’ blood flow may be improved, and the tissue’s suppleness may be improved for greater range of motion. The muscles will relax, circulation will be improved, and flexibility will be restored by giving them a sports massage following a strenuous training session. Since there won’t be the usual stiffness and discomfort, you can recuperate more quickly and resume exercising.
Camden Medical Centre #06-01 Singapore 248649
Phone: 6235 2647
160 Robinson Road, #05-03 SBF Center Singapore 068914
Phone: 6438 0162
East Coast Clinic
46 East Coast Road Eastgate #08-03 Singapore 428766
Phone: 6443 4591
2 Venture Drive Vision Exchange #02-13/14 Singapore 608526
Phone: 6258 5602
8 Sinaran Drive Novena Specialist Center #07-12 Singapore 307470
Phone: 6734 4707